A Parent's Job?

We love the Pioneer Woman don't we?  There are also many of us that realize we really aren't much like her, for one reason or another...and that's okay.  We all contribute to our families in our own special ways.  That is somewhat the topic of discussion on her "Homeschooling" blog today.  The author did a fantastic job and I am sure opened the eyes to many readers on the importance of training our children to be productive members of the family and society.

Raising five kids can be demanding.  There's lots of laundry, dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning,  laundry, dishes, laundry, dishes, okay you get the point! I work full-time right now and my husband works a couple full-time jobs on the ranch.  Not long after we were married, we realized that the kids were going to have to pitch in and help out in order for our household to run smoothly.  We just had too much on our own plates to try and juggle every single household chore ourselves.

Our kids' ages range from four to thirteen.  We decided that each child is capable of folding their own laundry and putting it away.  We had to give some directions and a little encouragement the first few times, but now it's old hat.  Each child must also clean their room, make their own bed, and pick up after themselves.  Picking up after themselves includes putting away any toys, blankets, or any other "thing" they got out themselves. Cooking, dishes, cleaning up after supper, dusting, cleaning counter tops, and taking care of the animals are also chores they take part in as well. 

I read an article in Country People Magazine several months ago that I think of often.  The article showcased the gorgeous Country star, Sara Evans.  Just imagine having seven kids in one household! After marrying her husband, it became 4 people + 5 people = 9 people under one roof!  I think they also realized quickly that rules and chores were going to be beneficial to everyone's sanity.

I believe often times parents feel pressured into doing everything, especially stay-at-home parents.  They feel guilty if they don't contribute to running the household and holding it all together.  I also believe this feeling can lead to super duper burnout (such classy terms I know) and feelings of resentment.  If we look at giving our kids chores as a way of preparing them for their future, would it make us look at delegating responsibilities in a different way?  I think so.

 I have taught in a high school setting or been a part of that line of work for ten years now.  I also worked in the Mathematics lab in college, assisting students on sharpening their math skills.  I would use the term tutoring here, but I hate saying or using the "t" word, just ask my students.  By the way, another word I hate is duty.  My point is I have had the opportunity to see an array of young people in our society.   I know I have had students through the years that require a lot of coaxing to clean up after themselves (it's like pulling teeth just to get them to push in a chair) and I often wonder what their room must look like at home.  Is it messy or is it perfectly put together because momma, daddy, grandma, whoever did a great job? 

Could we be doing our children a disservice by not allowing them to learn responsibility at a young age?  Well let's think for a minute.  Can you picture someone you know (you can keep the name to yourself...especially if you are married to them) that probably wasn't taught how to cook , clean, do laundry, take responsibility for themselves, probably drives the person they are married to crazy because of it? That should be motivation enough to want to encourage and teach our children how to contribute to the well being of the family household. 

I know this was a very long post, but I thought it was a very important topic to discuss.  As a parent I feel it is my responsibility to prepare those kids for the real world.  The real world isn't easy.  It requires hard work and discipline.  We want to put young people in society that appreciate the value of hard work and discipline.  Now picture: You get married at twenty-something.  You do not know how to cook a meal, do the laundry, or manage your money.  Guess what? You are going to have a difficult time adjusting.  Of course it is possible to make the leap into being a responsible young adult, but it will not be painless.  So next time you look at your to-do list, move some of those to-do's to the kiddo(s) and feel good about it, because you are making the world a better place for everyone.

picture copyright Kristen Chase



 I also want to point out that children like boundaries, they like to know their role in the family.  Our children love to help clean the house and each kid has a specialty area that they are better at than others.   It is a confidence builder when they are able to contribute to the household.  Why should we withhold that from them?  It requires consistency on the parent's end, but it's worth the effort. 

I am definitely no expert and I sure don't have all the answers. We are all a work in progress.   I just hope to give you something to think about, something to chew on. 








14 comments:

  1. This a great post and a wonderful argument for why children should have responsibility! I couldn't agree with the idea more! And just think about it, the other week there were serious efforts to put an end to kids helping with farm chores etc. by way of law. What a great tragedy that would have been. Thank goodness that effort failed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can you imagine!? That's what we need, to keep creating a society of laziness! Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Great post!!! I remember how much I hated doing chores as a kid, but I'm so glad Mama made me! I can't imagine not knowing how to do laundry, cook, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully you were loved enough to be taught huh? lol Seriously though (:

      Thanks girl

      Delete
  3. Excellent, excellent post! You know, this has never been a question for me because it's how I was raised. I was an only child until I was 5 years old, but even then my Mom made sure I did my part, and I often cooked meals in the evenings at that age. When my brother and sister came along later, I was such a help.

    Now, my husband grew up much different. His Mom had (well, really it's more like HAS, because it's an ongoing issue) no real relationship with my husbands father, so she poured her life into her kids. Did everything for them. And I mean EVERYTHING. They said jump and she said how-high. THANKFULLY my husband was always the black sheep of the family, and he does not expect that of me, but his brothers. Oooo, boy. They are the most aimless men I know. Neither of his older brothers is the main provider in their homes. One doesn't work at all. Sloths. That's the best description I have for them. They both went to college on their parents dime, and have ALWAYS been handed life on a silver platter. Makes you sick. My husband never went to college and has worked hard for every thing he has. The difference is night and day.

    That being said, it HARMS your children to not give them responsibility and also to not let them experience the repercussions of their actions. Look what that lifestyle has done to our society?

    So, I'm all about making children an integrated part of the family in every sense of the word. My 18 month old unloads the bottom rack of the dishwasher, and my 3 year old has age appropriate chores as well. As they get older it will be all the more important to keep firm in those convictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnna I couldn't agree with you more. Sounds like we should both be grateful for our husbands! I believe our society would be better off if we had parents that would tune in to their children and realize what our job is as parents. We do them such a injustice by not giving them the opportunity to learn necessary life skills.

      I think it's awesome that you learned how to cook at such a young age. Even our four and six year olds help out with the cooking...and they are proud of that! They love telling people about their cooking experience (:

      Thanks for commenting! I am back finally, life got crazy busy there for a while! lol

      Delete
  4. This was wonderful. I remember taking Home Ec in high school and being appalled that only me and one other guy knew how to cook/bake. Literally. There were 30 kids in the class and none of them even knew what a measuring cup looked like. SAD. I definitely want my kids to be equipped as responsible, competent members of society, and that begins with wiping the dishes :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Kendra, that's crazy and very sad, but I am not surprised! I just think we live in a lazy society these days. I think some parents just don't want to take the time to teach their children the necessary skills, either too busy or they just don't even think about the importance of showing them. THanks girl for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes. Agree 100%! And we have had this very discussion before, eh?! ;)

    We held our end of the chores line growing up, and not just in the house, but outside tending to the animals, and I loved that part the most. I remember a many, many time arguing with my Mother about not wanting to do the dishes (that was like pulling teeth) and even cooking. But, I learned, somehow, and I like to think I'm very good at it, but I know I want my children to learn those things too, whether they are are boys or what, they need to be able to cook, and clean and do their laundry. The older two boys already clean their room, help with the dishes, and help with the general cleaning of the house, because I'd run myself ragged if they didn't. And they need the responsibility!
    They help feed horses, and dogs, and they dearly love doing that, of course.
    This world needs parents whom teach their children responsibility and it would be a much better place.... no lazy bums!!

    I think this is great, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rach...we need more people that are willing to work hard!

      You may not have liked it at the time, but I know you appreciate those skills now. I also think it is important to teach our boys all those things as well. Who else is going to teach them?

      We should all be well-rounded individuals ;)

      Delete
  6. GREAT POST! It is so important and I'm so thankful my husband and I were raised to do things...now he wasn't raised to do so many "kitchen" chores...but we are working on it! ha ha
    I do find myself doing things that my boys should be doing~kind of a control freak at times, I admit...but I'm learning to let go and know that it's OK if its NOT done EXACTLY how I would do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is hope for him for sure! lol We are all a work in progress right?

      I know I am more than thankful for a husband that helps with everything! We pretty much work together as a team on all the chores and work around here. We kinda tag team. SO SO thankful for that!

      I know it is kinda hard to let some things go, I am pretty picky. HA! I also figured out real quick I was going to have to be a bit flexible on some things, but not everything. lol

      Delete
  7. Ah, I know you say you're no expert...but I think having that many children MAKES YOU ONE! This was well said and stuff I will definitely mull over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Cheyenne!! Sorry it took FOREVER to reply...life has been ca-raz-ay busy! lol

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...