Thankful (for the garden) Thursday

I love food
I really appreciate home cooked food and especially fresh veggies from the garden.  Lately watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives really motivates me to want to whip up some magical  creation in the kitchen.  Thankfully I have an amazing father-in-law that plants a magnificent garden each year for the family. Not only does it save money, but it's amazingly delicious! 

I asked Jack (my father-in-law) how long he had been doing a garden.  He said he really couldn't remember when he started, he just always remembered either working in one with his family or making his own.  The number sixty-eight did come up during that conversation.  That's a long time and a lot of experience!  

Jack takes Evan, the youngest kiddo, to work in the garden during the week while I'm at work.  It is so precious knowing Evan is either working in the garden, riding in the tractor, or using a screw driver to remove dirt from the tractor wheels (that's what Randal said Evan did yesterday hee hee hee).  





 The tender tomato plants are being protected by the cylindrical thingy-majiggs right here.  I think I noticed this morning that he's removed them now. 



Randal grew up on a dairy farm.  Jack and Darlene had a dairy as well as chicken houses while Randal and his sister were growing up.  Randal had many responsibilities even as a kid helping on the dairy.  As a ten year old he had to get up at three in the morning on Saturdays to bring the cows in for milking.  He was about thirteen when he started actually milking.   I wonder how many ten year old kids these days could say the same thing? The whole point of all that information was to point out that the barn in the background was used for the dairy.



Right now we've got tomato plants, new potatoes, lettuce, green onions, peppers, squash, cucumbers, and corn growing.  Oh MY MY MY... we love this stuff!



 
This is the bag of goodies Jack and I picked out of the garden.





From the garden to the sink, got to wash those babies up now.  






They look so pretty and clean.   Those are two new potatoes we picked to see if they were ready to pick in the near future or not.  Looks like they're ready!






I decided to make my husband a happy man and fix one of his favorite garden recipes...wilted lettuce.  Never made wilted lettuce before, but thanks to my mother-in-law I was able to pull it off.

Recipe: 


  • Lettuce cut into pieces
  • Fresh garlic
  • Fresh green onion (bulb and stems)
  • bacon
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper


Directions:
Wash veggies and let dry completely 
Cut up garlic and onion and lettuce ~place in a large bowl
Cook about 6 slices of bacon and crumble up ~add to bowl of veggies
In a skillet heat about 1/4 cup of olive oil 
Drizzle desired amount of balsamic vinegar over the veggies
Heat the oil until it is almost smokin' hot
Pour the hot oil over the veggies and make sure to toss and cover all the lettuce
(Randal tossed while I poured )
 Finally, salt and pepper

Make sure to have everything else you are preparing for your meal ready, because you will want to eat the wilted lettuce promptly. 


I prepared mashed potatoes and grilled chicken to pair with our wilted lettuce.  What made it even more yummy was the sun dried tomato cheese sauce to pour over them! 
 I had some heavy whipping cream left over from making home-made Alfredo a few days before that I needed to use.  Cream sauces are not good for you I know, but man they sure taste good!

 


In a sauce pan I added a few tablespoons of butter, some olive oil, and the extra garlic and onion I didn't use for the wilted lettuce.  

I brought the mixture to a boil and let simmer for a  few minutes.  
Next I added about  a cup and a half of heavy whipping cream.
I whisked the ingredients together until smooth. 
I added about a fourth of a cup of Parmesan cheese and continued to whisk.
Once the mixture simmered for about 8 minutes, I added about two tablespoons of 
sun dried tomato spread.


 

Not the best picture and a little messy, but I assure you I gained a few pounds after eating this, because I couldn't stop!

Okay, so we didn't get a picture of the plated meal.  We may or may not have been a little too excited about eating to take the time...okay we were! 

But you can picture: a side of prepared wilted lettuce.  A chicken breast and a heaping spoonful of mashed potatoes, drenched in the creamy sudried tomato cheese sauce.

Oh we were happy campers after that!

Randal really appreciated the meal after he spent all day in the tractor baling hay with his dad.






 Jack's rakin' and Randal's balin'.






Here's what a bale of hay looks like in case you didn't know...just kiddin'!




Just being random here, but my dad made me this little pantry when I was in college.  The door use to be a cedar door frame with chicken wire.  The door kind of fell of recently and I got tired of seeing canned goods all falling over from being rummaged through, so I improvised. I made this little curtain without sewing a stitch! 


And the flowers below I just picked up at Sam's because Gerber Daises are my favorite, and they make me smile.


  

Hope everyone is enjoying sunshine where you're at! 

So, what are you cooking from the garden lately? I'm always up to try a new recipe!!!

15 comments:

  1. Wilted lettuce is one of my spring favorites too!! It's a classic!
    Have you heard of making "new potatoes and onions" before? It's another out of the garden recipe that is a spring/summer treat! We always have had a big garden. It's a good feeling to set down at the supper table and know that everything on the table was raised and grown on our farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Elizabeth. This was my first time to make wilted lettuce. I love new potatoes and cooked onions...so I am sure they're great together! How do you make your recipe?

      Delete
    2. Our wilted lettuce recipe is pretty similar - we add a dash of sugar for sweetness. The potato recipe is a cinch - boil tender new potatoes until fork tender - drain and set aside a serving bowl. In the meanwhile you will need several new onions sliced thin and cooked down in oil - until some are golden brown - pour the hot oil and onions over the taters and serve hot - add salt as needed!

      Delete
    3. by several onions - I mean like at least 4-5 (depending on size) Lots of Onions = better :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE wilted lettuce! We are not reaping any benefits of our garden...yet. We are just now getting things planted. Still don't have my tomatoes and peppers in yet, had a cold snap and I'm glad I didn't have them in.

    Love the new header...such a beautiful bunch of kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have eaten it a couple of years ago, but my taste buds changed about a year and a half ago. lol

      Well you have plenty of time to reap the benefits! Definitely a blessing then to not have them planted yet...those cold spells I tell ya can really mess things up for the produce and flowers! ha

      Thank you...I was playing around with the header...I don't have my blog name on there anymore, but the kids trump the header anyways :D

      Delete
    2. Do you make your wilted lettuce the same way... or different?

      Delete
  3. Hmm, that's different, but sounds purty good!!

    We HAD lettuce, until the horses got in the yard... and ate it all gone. The buggers!
    Just now got tomatoes in, and fixing to plant the rest of it. Can't wait, we didn't have a real good one last summer, but we had a little. If it'll rain this summer we might have something, if not, I'm afraid we will be in the same boat as last year, to hot and dry for a garden... time will tell.

    Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dad gum horses!!! LOL it's a good thing we love them huh?

      Praying the Lord sends the rain your way!!!

      Delete
  4. Basically made the same way...we use vinegar and sugar instead of balsamic vinegar. Also, we like red onion. I had never had it until I got married...LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had it until I married Randal either (: Vinegar and sugar sounds great too! I think my husband would like the red onion as well...will have to try that. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. What I wouldn't give to have a garden like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer I am sooooo thankful for my father-in-law! He works hard on the garden and we get to enjoy it. I've made my own before, but I just did squash and corn pretty much.

      Delete
  6. You ladies are making me hungry. Love seeing your garden. We have been busy in our garden too. I'll have to try the wilted lettuce. We ate buttered spinach today. This year we have added a small orchard. It will be a wait but worth it. Thanks:) Have a great week!!

    Kasse D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasse the buttered spinach sounds great too! I just love the fresh veggies from the garden, it doesn't get much better than that. And to know exactly where the food came from is always a plus (:

      The wilted lettuce is a pretty simple and fresh side, but pretty good too. Orchard? Whatcha growin' in that orchard? (just trying to type it out in my hick accent) lol

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...